Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 5:18PM
Job Title: Coordinator/Consumer Affairs
The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, Inc. (NASMHPD), the primary national
association advocating for the collective interests of state mental health authorities in all 50 states, 4 territories and the District of Columbia is seeking a Coordinator/Consumer Affairs for the SAMHSA National Center for Trauma Informed Care to be responsible for providing consumer leadership in all aspects of seclusion and restraint prevention, and the implementation of trauma informed care. The Coordinator/Consumer Affairs participates in technical assistance, conference planning and consultation to ensure inclusion of consumer perspectives and also provides direct contact with requesting agencies and SAMHSA and coordinates peer activities including chairing the peer leadership committee, and conducting presentations and training. This position requires a strong advocate with the ability to cross systems in promoting consumer integration in all aspects of service delivery.
- At least three years of experience providing high-quality training and technical assistance functions to a variety of audiences including national associations, state mental health agencies, and mental health provider agency staff.
- Hands-on experience in creating trauma informed care environments.
- A personal philosophy that is person-centered, recovery-oriented, trauma-informed, and consumer- focused, including using person-first language. Because of the nature of the position, the preferred candidate will have personal experience as a trauma survivor and as a consumer of behavioral health services.
- Knowledge of the theory and literature related to human trauma and the principles underlying a trauma informed care approach in healthcare and social service settings.
- Knowledge of current activities related to trauma initiatives in the public mental health field at the national and state level preferred.
- Ability to coordinate a complex, multi-faceted project, with a good attention to detail.
- Relevant experience working with State or local mental health, human service, and associated systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge of the role of the federal government and state public offices in public mental health policy development, specifically regarding trauma informed care.
- Willingness to thoroughly review the current literature and to gain additional knowledge about, and subsequently apply, effective technical assistance techniques used in public mental health settings (e.g. long-distance learning, consensus-buildingconferences), as well as the current literature on trauma-informed care and all related subjects.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, political acumen, and an ability to work effectively as both a leader and a team member are essential.
NASMHPD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package and are located in Old Town Alexandria.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest with salary requirements or salary expectations and a resume to:
Kathy M. Parker
Director of Human Resources & Administration PT National
Association of State Mental Health Program Directors
66 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 302
Alexandria, VA 22314
Fax: (703) 548-9517
IT Department | Comments Off |