Monday, June 9, 2014 at 2:03PM
New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation seeks part-time Peer Counselors.
The Peer Counselor:
- Distributes and uses the Guide to Keeping Healthy after the Hospital © booklet in groups with consumers on inpatient units and within ambulatory care services.
- Uses one's personal experience as a mental health consumer (including those with co-occurring backgrounds) in role modeling recovery and providing hope for other consumers.
- Shares with the consumers their own personal skills that they use to stay out of the hospital.
- Engages consumers and helps motivate them to set positive goals for their health and well-being.
- Assists consumers in seeking clarification about the treatment and recovery process.
- Promotes wellness and recovery by assisting consumers to identify their strengths and goals and to promote the notion of empowerment.
- Assists consumers in identifying their own individual warning signs of relapse and developing individual coping strategies.
- Assists consumers in developing skills intended to improve: mental health, substance use, physical health, and self-advocacy.
- Links consumers with peer support and social support networks in the community that is provided in the Guide to Keeping Healthy after the Hospital © booklet.
- Documents in accordance with program requirements, in a timely manner.
- Maintains a rapport with assigned facility liaisons on inpatient units and in clinics.
- Participates in team supervision to obtain information and resources for consumers and staff.
- Peer Counselor is supervised by the Consumer Affairs Coordinator.
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent,
- Completion of a training program that guides participants in working with consumers in the community; and
- One year of peer counseling or related experience.
The position requires a 15hr/week commitment. Locations in Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan.
Gita Enders, MA, CPRP
Consumer Affairs Coordinator
NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation
Office of Behavioral Health
125 Worth Street, Room 424
New York, NY 10013
IT Department | Comments Off |