Director of Public Policy & Advocacy
Position Summary: The Director of Public Policy & Advocacy is a key member of the NYAPRS management team and is responsible for assisting the Executive Director in achieving the NYAPRS public policy mission.
- Lead the development and strategic deployment of public policy programs and resources. Inform and coordinate policy activities. Develop and support Board-level Public Policy committee;
- Represents NYAPRS directly with federal, state, and local policymakers as directed by Executive Director;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials/staff, business leaders, lobbyists, and business/community organizations;
- Inform and provide strategic guidance to senior leadership about relevant policy developments and opportunities.
- Provide technical assistance and materials through education and advocacy to NYAPRS members that align consumer-provider interests within federal, state, and local mandates.
- Directly lobby federal, state and local elected officials and staff on public policy issues important to NYAPRS as needed. Lobbying activities may include testifying at public hearings, meeting one-on-one and developing official correspondence;
- Manage the annual development of the Public Policy Agenda and program budget;
- Manages daily NYAPRS E-News service
- Provides other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in public policy or related field preferred;
- 7+ years experience in public affairs and/or government relations;
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success working with policymakers, preferably at senior legislative or executive level;
- Demonstrated understanding of national policy issues and current trends and in state and federal policy matters affecting health and human services;
- Must possess multi-tasking, organizational, strategic thinking and relationship-building skills;
- Demonstrated experience developing relationships with and outreach to national and local media;
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders;
- Communicates in a strong, positive and effective manner both verbally and non-verbally. Excellent presentation, public speaking and facilitation skills;
- Capacity to be a "tough-minded optimist," always acting to solve problems with energy and a positive attitude;
- Strong project management expertise;
- Demonstrates a high level of personal accountability, confidentiality and willingness to share expertise;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite with ability to write and articulate public policy positions;
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel;
- Lived experience with the mental health system preferred.
NYAPRS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, retirement plan with non-elective company contribution, and generous paid time off and holidays.
Interested candidates should submit an application, cover letter, resume, and wage requirements to:
- OR -
Director of Human Resources
194 Washington Avenue, Suite 400
Albany, NY 12210
**Completed applications must be submitted for all open positions by August 9th.