Call for Proposals
New York City's
Eighth Annual Peer Specialist Conference
At New York University's Kimmel Center
Thursday, July 17, 2014
The Peer Specialist Conference Planning Committee is currently seeking workshop proposals for New York City’s Eighth Annual Peer Specialist Conference which will be held at New York University's Kimmel Center on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
It is intended specifically for New York City peers working in the behavioral health sector who wish to enhance their skills, obtain new knowledge and information and stimulate critical dialogue and ideas about career development and the mental health field.
The audience for this conference will be New York City working peers, i.e., Peer Specialists, Peer Wellness Coaches, Peer Bridgers and more!! We encourage submissions from working peers who can provide insight on the future development of the role of peers in the workplace. All workshops are 75 minutes.
Please see 2014 Workshop Proposal Submission Form at the bottom of this announcement.
Workshop Topics of Interest
We invite abstracts that reflect innovative national, state and local programs, practices, and initiatives that support the future development of the peer workforce.
- Community Integration
- Supporting Peers in the Work Place
- Trauma-Informed Care
- Health and Wellness
- Creativity & Alternative Approaches
- Recovery Centers
- Parents with Psychiatric Disabilities
- Youth Initiatives
- Peer Advocacy & Mutual Support
- Hospital Diversion Respite Centers
- Human Rights Initiatives
- New Employment Opportunities for Peers
- Research and Developments in the Peer Workforce
- Civic Engagement & Social/Political Activism
- Suicide Prevention, Assessment & Interventions
- Supervisory Roles
- Leadership Development
- Education & Credentialing
- Cultural Competence
- Health Care Reform
- First Break: New Initiatives
- Conflict Resolution
- Enhancing Job Skills for Peer Providers in the workplace
Abstracts will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Consistency and relevance to the theme of the conference
- Originality and innovation
- Clarity in description of subject matter
- Broad implications across peer workforce experience
- Qualifications and experience on subject matter
- Clear learning objectives
Abstracts must be submitted by e-mail, fax, or mail to:
The New York State Office of Mental Health
330 Fifth Ave., 9th floor
New York, N.Y. 10001
Attn: Carmelita Thompson
Workshop proposals must be e-mailed, faxed or postmarked no later than close of business on January 31, 2014.
NOTE: Please use the attached 2014 Workshop Proposal Submission Form and fill it out completely, as missing information will delay consideration of your proposal. You will be notified about the acceptance of your proposal by letter in early March, 2014.
Peer Specialist Conference Planning Committee: The New York State Office of Mental Health, Bureau of Recipient Affairs; The New York City Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene, Office of Consumer Affairs; FEGS Health and Human Services; The Empowerment Center; Baltic Street AEH, Inc.; New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, Office of Behavioral Health; New York Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services (NYAPRS); The Coalition of Behavioral Health Agencies, Center for Rehabilitation and Recovery; YOUTH POWER!; Bronx Psychiatric Center ACT Team; Howie the Harp Advocacy Center
This conference promises to be an exciting and purposeful event and your contributions are appreciated! Thank you very much for the great work you all do.